[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC motors

----------
From:  Chuck Curran [SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, June 04, 1998 6:32 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: DC motors

Hi D.C.:

I can't give you a complete answer to your question, for one simple reason.
Since the motor was rated at 0-10,000 RPM my first goal was to limit it's
RPM.  I chose to do this by obtaining a 240 VAC to 120 VAC at 10 Amp step
down transformer.  I ran 0-120 VAC into the 240 VAC primary and then ran it
through a full wave bridge rectifier and filter cap.  The result was around
75 VDC under load which resulted in 3850 RPM checked with a new tachometer.
Since this was 385 bbs with my six moving electrode system,  I tried that.
I wanted to get between 350-450 bbs and I was in the ball-park and the
resulting sparks were always around 11 feet with an occasional jump to 13
feet on a real good night.  This was at 15-16 Kw input.  I still consider
myself "new" at this, so I will freely admit that I didn't try anything
higher or lower.  With a limited time to coil I was simply pleased with this
level of success.  It has been suggested that certain advantages are
available at exactly 3600 RPM, so if I get the chance I'll try that with the
new coil under construction.  Yesterday I got the Delrin I will be using for
the primary support pieces and I plan on going into work and putting the
Bridgeport to use for a bit to get these pieces ready on Saturday.  I still
think I might be firing up this new coil by mid July--we will see---

Chuck