[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

1/4 Wave Theories - do a test?

----------
From:  Mad Coiler [SMTP:tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, June 06, 1998 1:29 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: 1/4 Wave Theories - do a test?

>----------

This is exactly my point - that the wire length in my system doesnt
appear to have a significant impact on frequency response and
performance.

>In my opinion, other factors such as quenching, coupling coefficient,
and
>the change in component values are accounting for your observations.

  Guys, I am not trying to disprove the 1/4wave theory. But what
significance is it if by simply tapping in a few turns on the pri coil
(and a bigger toroid) makes such a dramatic improvement over when the
system was all set up using 1/4 wave values?
  Perhaps my small coil is such an odd design that its operation is
slightly different? For example, I have been told that my small coil
doesnt have enough inductance or turns per inch to be a good performer.
It is 3.5" diameter, 15" high, wound with #22. # of turns ~530, mH = 5.4
Powering this little guy with a 12Kv 60mA NST produces 30" sparks (about
16"-22" sparks when tunned to 1/4wavelength). I am also using only dirt
cheap hocky puck caps.

Tristan Stewart