[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC as pulse transformer

----------
From:  Greg Leyh [SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, June 06, 1998 3:07 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: TC as pulse transformer

Jim Lux wrote:

> > Thyratrons can handle the kV and the di/dt, but fall far short
> > on the Iavg rating (typ a few amps -- a TC carries 15-20A avg).
> > -GL
>
> Unless you go to a higher primary voltage, which is desirable for other
> reasons! Clearly, if you are running tens of amps in the primary, you
> aren't powering it with a NST. Why not go to 50 kV or so. And, if you
> can shut the switch off before the voltage reverses on the capacitor,
> the capacitor stress will be greatly reduced.

A 44kV primary is bad enough when it comes to corona control!
It starts to get old (and $) after machining the 20th custom
corona ball or ring for the pri ckt plumbing!  Looks cool, though.

Thyratrons have to be 'multiple gapped' for service above 40kV,
an arrangement that drastically increases the voltage recovery
time of the tube.  Active switches should be able to run at much
lower Vpri, owing to their lower switch losses.

I'm not so worried about the caps, there are pulse-duty
cap types that are made for this type of service.  The
only way I've ever lost a pri cap is by an accidental 50%
overvoltage (Terry L - remember the "I'm pregnant" cap?)
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org