[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The last erg

----------
From:  Bert Pool [SMTP:bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, June 08, 1998 3:51 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: The last erg

> ----------

[snip]

> I could vary the length of the streamer with power
> from a foot long to good solid 48 inch connects to
> grounded objects. Decrease the power and still one
> streamer would dance around as long as the spark
> gap was alight.
>
> The gap runs very reliably, and exhibits a sort of
> 'hystereses' effect where it will either not fire at all
> at low voltage or it fires at every presentation above
> some threshold voltage. There seems to be no setting
> where it fires intermittently. Maximum speed is 230
> PPS. I hope to build one to bring the rate up to 400
> PPS or so sometime soon.

> At least when I move to
> a pole transformer I won't need to worry about current
> limiting - the gap speed sets the power consumption.

Trust me - when you move to a pole pig, correct ballasting will become *so*
important it will amaze you!  The balance between the correct mix of resistive
and inductive ballasts will absolutely make or break a system.  The only thing
more important is building a static and rotary gap system that optimally
quenches your coil.  Print off a copy of your message where you said you look
forward to pigs because you won't have to worry about current limiting - tape it
to your shop wall - I guarantee you in a few months (or years), you'll look at it
and have a good laugh.

[snip]

Bert Pool
TCBFW