[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gap setting?

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, June 12, 1998 12:46 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Gap setting?

to: Gary

You can run a larger gap up to 0.200 inches but anything larger (total gap)
will spell certain doom to your NST.  They are not made to provide their
full rated output potential for a long period of time -- only long enough
to ionize the gas in the neon tube and then they drop back to around
600-800 volts and just serve as a current source.

When I mentioned the .045 inch setting I was referring to the initial
"tuning" conditions for the coil not its normal in tune operating mode.
Normal is .150 to .200 inch setting with only 3 total gaps necessary for a
30 ma drive current.  5 gaps work best with a 60 ma dirve and 7 gaps work
great with 120 ma drive.  Anything more is "ok" but not necessary for good
performance.  A small 150 - 200 CFM blower fan adds performance with a 60
or 120 ma xmfr.  The vacuum cleaner suction type gaps also work great with
small to medium size systems.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net