[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mutual Inductance (was Flat Primary Winding - next question)

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, June 20, 1998 3:01 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Mutual Inductance (was Flat Primary Winding - next  question)

  All -

  The mutual inductance of a Tesla coil is important because it is the major
parameter that connects the two magnetic circuits of the primary and
secondary tank systems. Mutual inductance can be used to find other
parameters including the important K factor or coupling of the coils.
      K = Lm / sqrt(Lp x Ls)

  It is always interesting to compare different methods of finding TC
parameters like the mutual inductance. Mark has listed below the mutual
inductance he has found for different primary coil arrangements. To compare
his data using the JHCTES program I came up with the following for System A:

   Pri cap = .031 uf   Pri spiral avg rad = 9.0 ins   Width = 5.7 ins

   Sec rad = 5.14 ins   Turns = 1000   TPS = 33.33
   Bare wire dia = .020    Sec term = 40 pf

   Some of the outputs
   Pri ind = 135 uh    Pri turns = 15
   Sec ind = 76.3 mh       K Factor = .20
   Op Freq = 77.86 KHZ    Mut Ind = 656 uh

  Keep in mind that small changes in the inputs can make large changes in
the outputs when solving for mutual inductance. The pri cap in the inputs
can be used to change the pri turns. Coilers who have the JHCTES program may
want to try other changes to see how they affect the mutual inductance.

  To my knowledge the only TC program available today  for the coiler that
solves for the mutual inductance is the JHCTES program. The Corum program
has mutual inductance as an input not an output. The JHCTES program uses an
algorithm based on an equation in Terman's Radio Engineering Handbook.

  One advantage of Mark's program is that it provides more detail of how the
primary bathes the secondary as you go up the sec coil. To do this with the
JHCTES program requires additional calculations on the part of the program
user. If much of this work was to be done it would be better to write a new
program and incorporating Terman's equation.

  John Couture