[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First light and problems

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 23, 1998 6:17 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: First light and problems

to: Marco

We run a similar coil with the 4 inch dia. secondary with 26 AWG.  As you
suspected, your problem is overcoupling.  We run our sec coil so the first
(lowest) turn is 1 1/2 inches above the horizontal plane of the top of the
primary coil (flat spiral also).  The innermost primary turn is 1 1/2
inches away from the secondary coilform.  This produces 40 cm sparks with
no flashover problems.  Borrow a variac until you get the beast in tune so
you don't injure your caps.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net