[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings

----------
From:  Jeff Corr [SMTP:corr-at-enid-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, June 24, 1998 1:42 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings

As am I, but that did not cover the question.
One or two single 9 volt batteries.  Assuming each one
can put out around one amp of current at any given time
for short periods of time, then that only gives you 9 watts.
Although as demonstrated with any basic photoflash circuit,
the instantaneous discharge of one of these is higher than 300
watts for the two circuits I have.  (350 volts at .98 amp peak
around 343 watts) This from a battery (1.5v AA) only capable of
supplying around 1.5 watts.

This of course would only generate one spark.  Could one, I wonder,
perfect a circuit, taking into account of one 9 volt alk. cell, to
supply a specific rate of discharge.  For ex, a POT allowing the user
to adjust the discharge rate from 2 discharges a second up to 20 or
so, but of course, the higher the rate, the smaller the wattage would
be.  I would be interested in bread-boarding a circuit if anyone wants
to design one...

Assuming this could be done, could you feed it into an ignition coil, or
perhaps
a flyback trannie, then on to the tesla coil tank circuit?
It sounds like a pain, but if one could design it properly and build it,
the entire setup, battery, trannie, and all, could be placed in a small box
only a few inches wide.

Any thoughts or battery combo's for greater power?  Keep in mind, we want it
hand-held....