[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

How to rise the secondary?

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, June 29, 1998 1:37 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: How to rise the secondary?

John, all,
              I have an idea on this based on observation:

For a relatively high frequency coil, losse coupling works well. I
suggest this is because it prolongs the time energy resides in the
secondary on the first (and successive) beats. In effect, it
increases beat time, something that could be a disadvantage at lower
frequencies as low frequency coils are generally those possessing a
fairly high Ctot in the secondary system and because they generally
run at much higher levels of Ep, also experience fairly high gap
losses. In a low frequency coil, even comparatively tight coupling
means a long beat time because of the low resonant frequency.
     The point to all this is that the longer energy hangs around in
the secondary at the highest amplitude, the better sparks can form.

??
Malcolm
<snip>