[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modeling a magnifier

----------
From:  Antonio C. M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 04, 1998 1:52 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Modeling a magnifier

Jim McVey wrote (with subject : R Hull maggey question):

> 1) I memory serves, CSN along with posts on this list have the equlity
> L1C1=L2C2=L3C3.  To me, this implies that the L1, L2 "driver" is a stand
> alone TC, only more damped by the coupling (assuming L3 is not connected).

Assuming the model for the secondary/third coil:

+-----+--L3-+
|     |     |
C2    L2    C3
|     |     |
+-----+-----+

An interesting posibility is L2*C2=(L2+L3)*C3, with L1*C1 somewhere close
to this (I didn't verify exactly what would be the best).
With this relation, the combination secondary-third coil behaves exactly
as the tuned two-coil system of a normal Tesla coil:

+-----+     +-----+
|     | <k> |     |
Ca    La    Lb    Cb
|     |     |     |
+-----+     +-----+

La=L2; Lb=L2+L3; k=sqrt(L2/(L2+L3)); Ca=C2; Cb=C3

With high coupling between the primary and the secondary, all or most of
the primary energy is transferred rapidly, essentially to C2-L2 only before
the spark gap is quenched.
After this, the energy oscillates between the two tanks,
and periodically is entirely concentrated on C3, producing the highest
possible voltage allowed by energy conservation (ignoring losses).

> 2) Pictures of magnifier drive coils all indeed have a load ring-or is it a
> shaped turn?  Your post made no mention of a C2.

I don't know what more experienced coilers do, but the model indicates that
there is an optimum value for C2.

> 3) In some of my own investgations,  Using very low energies, I've found
> that
> the secondaries like to lump, rather than resonate independently such that
> L1C1=(L2+L3)*(C2+C3).  Is this what you experienced?

Did you observe some amplitude modulation in the secondary waveforms after
the opening of the gap? The greater the modulation, the higher is the voltage
obtainable at C3, according to the model.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq