[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

D & B , last part.

----------
From:  Keith Nagel [SMTP:knagel-at-cnct-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 05, 1998 12:12 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: D & B , last part.

At 12:01 PM 3/4/98 -0600, you wrote:

>----------
>From:  L.Robertson [SMTP:LWRobertson-at-email.msn-dot-com]
>While using 4 inches of spark, and no DC input,
>voltage on the big cap would equilibrate at several
>thousand volts, as the charging effect and the
>average discharge current through the spark path
>became equal, I suppose.

(snip)

>Meanwhile, back to the main pursuit from which I got
>sidetracked - the elusive DC drive.
>
>LR

Pity, this is a very remarkable experiment. It reminds me
of R. Hulls experiments measuring DC fields about Tesla
coils. Before signing off on this, please comment on
your experimenting with the capacitor uncharged. Did the
charge which developed match the polarity of the DC driver?

Making an EMP weapon made for an excellent story, but
DC developing from an AC system with no clear source
of rectification really peaked my interest. My guess
here is that if the peak of the secondary voltage
follows the polarity of the DC primary driver, then
the resulting DC charge on the cap should follow it.
( not directly in polarity, just so that if you
switch primary cap charging polarity you'll switch
secondary cap charge polarity). This based
on the assumption that the nonlinear part of the circuit
( the spark event occurring on the elevated secondary terminal)
is the thing causing rectification.

KPN