[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Revised 1st coil

----------
From:  Tom [SMTP:tomg-at-avicom-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, March 06, 1998 3:17 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Revised 1st coil

The time is soon approaching when I will be able to complete my first coil.
I thought I would run the design past all of you to see what I can improve.

 Possible specs:

 Power Supply
     4  15kv 30ma NSTs. Controlled with a 15 amp powerstat 120v input.

 Spark gap
     RQ type.  1"dia x 3" long copper tubes. 9 gaps spaced .025 between tubes.
     Variable speed 230cfm fan.  Enclosed in 6" PVC.

 Primary
     3/8" OD soft copper tubing spaced 1/4" between tubes. ID 7.5" X 23"OD.
Pancake

 Secondary
     6.625" X 23" tall.  #22 mag wire.

 Toroid
     40" X 8" flexible heater duct covered w/ aluminum tape. (not yet built)

 Cap
     Rolled poly .02 uf  (not yet built)

 Choke
     Not yet built.  I would greatly value advice here.  I have a bunch of #22
wire left and pvc.  if feasible would like to use it.

 Bypass caps
     Would value input here also. How wired and size for this design.

 Saftey gap
     Will have one to ground

 Ground
     The problem here is the place I will be using the coil is on the second
 floor of a friends shop.
     I will need to run at least 80 feet of wire to ground rods outside.  Will
 there be a great problem with that?

 Thanks again.
 Tom