[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High Voltage Test Equipment

----------
From:  Thomas McGahee [SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 05, 1998 7:32 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: High Voltage Test Equipment

Homer,
You can't just throw a full wave bridge in series with the resistor
string to convert the AC to DC. The best way to get the AC converted to
DC is to have a "two" resistor divider (where "one" of the resistors
is actually the 200x10meg resistor string, and the other, bottom resistor
is such that the ratio is, say, 9,999 to 1. That will give you 10 volts
out for 100KV in. The bottom resistor should consist of both a fixed and
a variable resistor in series, each about 3/4 the size of the calculated
resistance needed for the bottom resistance. Adjust for maximum
accuracy.

Now take the 10 volt signal at the bottom and buffer it using a high
impedance operational amplifier. You want a unit that draws minimal
current and has a high bandwidth. Connect the op amp as a buffer, also
known as a voltage follower. Use a conventional digital meter to
display the result. Use the AC scale to read AC.

This approach is far superior to the one you originally proposed, and is
accurate enough for most work. If extreme accuracy is needed, then there
are some additional things that would need to be done to tweak the
circuit.

Note that at very low input levels the accuracy will be less than that
at the higher levels, assuming the unit is calibrated at or near
100KV. If you calibrate at say 10KV, then that will be the most accurate
section. It is useful to produce a calibration chart if you desire
greater accuracy.

Oil immerse the main HV resistor string to reduce errors due to corona.
The lower "resistor" can be OUTSIDE this oil case.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee