[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

primary hold down's

----------
From:  Chuck Curran [SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, March 07, 1998 6:47 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: primary hold down's

Walt:

A very effective technique for holding the tubing into place is a by-product
of how you actually cut the notch itself.  Specifically, several years ago
someone on the list mentioned an idea that I have found to work very well.
Instead of cutting the notch so that it is 180 degrees of a circle, place
the center point below the edge of the form so that you end up with
something like 240 degrees of the circle.  I actually offset the center
point 1/16" and with 5/8" tube it worked well.  The tube then snaps into
place and stays quite well.  If you have access to a Bridgeport mill this is
real easy to do.  You could also drill the series of holes and then cut off
a portion of the form edge and drilled holes, to leave most of the hole/arc
in the form.  I have also done this with 3/8" tube with good success.  When
I make the next primary, which will be next month, I will probably offset
the center point somewhat more than 1/16".  Sometimes the 3/8" tube primary
would pop out of position when I was working on tap points.  I ended up
drilling a 45 degree cross hole underneath each notch on my bigger primary
and using a small nylon ty-wrap to really lock it into place.  That is
bullet proof , but the next one I will try with simply a deeper notch.

Chuck Curran