----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, March 07, 1998 5:31 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Loading, quenching, and surging

to: John

One reliable and easy way to check the quenching of any system is to place
a sharp ground rod a fixed distance from the coil at normally the 90-95%
max striking distance.  Turn the coil on.  If the streamers connect
immediately and solidly from the toroid to the ground electrode while the
primary sparkgap electrodes are in the "cold" -- not yet warmed up to
normal operating temp, and, then the spark stays at this distance, this
indicates good quenching.  If the spark discharge dramatically "shrinks" to
60-70% of this distance then the quenching is not adequate as the sparkgap
electrodes are heating up rapidly to red hot and the secondary spark starts
diminishing in length.  In systems with tig welding rods (usually 1/8th
inch dia) this effect is more pronounced.  Even in smaller coil systems
using 1/2 dia brass rod (for heat conductivity) with large 1/2 inch dia
tungsten electrodes -- this offers remarkable improved performance as the
sparkgap is quenching (switching off rapidly) better and trapping more
energy in the secondary coil to "ring".  Chuck Cook uses large surfaced
tungsten electrodes in his smaller oil coil system which is quite
impressive with no secondary spark reduction (as demonstrated at Ed
Wingate's recent Teslathon).  You are probably familar with this test but I
posted  it to assist new coil builders -- since you were on the topic of
quenching.  Also blowing some compressed air thru the gap and noting if the
sec spark "shrinking" or "extending" effect occurs can tell you something
about how effectively you are quenching the primary sparkgap.  If the air
blast helps then just add a small 150-200 CFM blower in front of your
electrodes as Chuck does.