[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Web page update

----------
From:  Wysock, William C. [SMTP:Wysock-at-courier8.aero-dot-org]
Sent:  Monday, March 09, 1998 10:51 AM
To:  Tesla List

To the Tesla List,

For many months now, the references to the "13M Story"
have not had images (figures 1 thru 19) at the end of the
article, on my web site.    They are posted now.  The "Model 13M
Story" actually begins with a design of a Magnifier (that was never
built, Model 14M.)  That design, incorporated a [hybrid] design
Master Oscillator; i.e. a modified "pancake" primary/secondary
critical coupled system, along with a self-resonant extra coil.
Viewers will note that the "classic" design approach, of having
the high potential end of the secondary, is at the center of the
pancake, not at the perimeter.  The outer-most winding of the
secondary is connected to ground, and the center-most winding
turn, is the high voltage output of this system, which drives into
the extra coil.

This system is at present, under preliminary construction.  It
encompasses the attributes of Tesla's early designs, as well as
what is [speculated] Tesla accomplished in his final design at
Wardenclyffe.

There have been a number of posts on the List as of late, discussing
the possibilities of a "pancake" style Tesla coil, with the high
potential at the outer-most turns/diameter.  This is not the way to
go.  Rather, with the ground connection being at the outer-most
turns, you have the most desirable construction; the most turns
and winding length, closest to ground potential and at the right
input impedance, with the primary, coaxially wound around the outside
diameter of the pancake.  As the voltage rises, going to the inner-
most turns per layer, there is also an automatic benefit to this
construction; Faraday sheilding of the higher voltage layers.  This
is why the [early] electro-medical manufactures built their equipment
the same way; always, the high voltage end of each secondary winding
is at the CENTER of the pancake; not at the perimeter!

Before a full-scale Model 14M is built, I plan to construct a 1/10
scale model, to prove my hypothisis of design.  I will share the
results of these investigations here, on the Tesla List.

Bill Wysock.
Tesla Technology Research