[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modeling a magnifier

----------
From:  bmack [SMTP:bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, March 09, 1998 10:30 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Modeling a magnifier

Antonio,

   I think we all agree that there will be a beat frequency with the
L2C2 and L3C3 connections you proposed. It still seems to me that the
C2 will be of an impractical size to tune L2c2  near (L2+L3)*c3.  I suspect
an actual system would have large radiation loses in the L2C2 and
virtually no storage capability in C3.  The sparks would be very thin.
(Ok, I'm guessing here....)

The experiment is flawed if you are using a variable capacitor instead of
an isotropic capacity as in the real thing.  There is no actual ground
connection as your model posseses.  That is what I was trying to say
in my last post referring to the " out of tune" impedance reflected into
the primary.  With your latest post , i see that you did not use a primary,
therefore you were unable to see this effect.  Check this out on your
grounded C2 experiment.  Replace it with an isotropic capacity of the same
value, and I'm sure there will be a marked difference in dynamics.
     In my opinion, a model closer to the actual system dynamics
(simulation-wise)  might look more like this:

      L2------+----------L3------C3----+
       |        C2                         Rr
       |        Rr                           |
       V       V                          V

     The "V" represents ground,  Rr is radiation resistance among other
things
such as ion channel absorbtion etc. There's been books written on the
nature
of Rr...buts thats another topic.  At low voltage- very much below
breakout,
it's pretty much a radiator.    This model will behave as Richard hull
desribed his results, where C2 is more of a tuning issue for the L1C1
L2C2 coupled system than it is for the secondary.  The Q of the L2C2
section is impaired by Rr.   Depending on the degree that C2 is
compensated for in the primary, there will be leway for some tuning
combinations and beats from these interactions.
      For C2<<C3 as in Richard's system,  It can be thought of like a
current
divider, where the most current will want to follow the (L2+L3)*C3 path.
 Again, the Thumbnail sketch to get in the ballpark is:

  L1C1=(L2+L3)*(C2+C3)

 As always, comments welcome.

Jim McVey

-