[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modeling a magnifier

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 11, 1998 6:12 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Modeling a magnifier

John,

ROC = radius of curvature. I will check references but I seem to
recall Tesla saying in his early lectures that he had developed high
frequency alternators for driving coils. I don't think we're on the
same "wavelength" when discussing the more technical things so I will
desist for now.

>   However, you would be correct as far as charging the sec term is
> concerned. The end voltage using either the dampened or sine wave is
> according to the equation
>     J = .5 Cs x Vs^2   or    Vs = sqrt(2 x J/Cs) . With J and C unchanged
> the V is unchanged.
>
>   The second sentence is not invalid. It is obvious that some of the cycles
> of the dampened wave are greater in amplitude than a sine wave with the same
> frequency and energy.
>
>   The third sentence refers to a little known fact of dampened waves. The
> peak amplitude of a dampened wave always lags the peak amplitude of a sine
> wave of the same frequency. The amount of lag depends on the amount of
> dampening. Only at the zero axis are the two waveforms in synchronism. Does
> this mean that the rotary gaps should be in synchronism with the Utility
> sine wave or the TC dampened wave?
>
>   You can learn a lot about dampened waves using a spreadsheet with graphing
> capabilities such as Quattro Pro, etc. Just superimpose the two waveforms at
> the same frequency on the graph and you will see many differences between
> the two waveforms.

I venture to suggest I have learnt far more by building and running
systems and observing all facets of their behaviour in considerable
detail using high powered instrumentation such as storage scopes and
the like.

Malcolm