[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

??SECONDARY??

----------
From:  Antonio C. M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 11, 1998 9:34 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: ??SECONDARY??

Gary Weaver wrote:

> I also tried another experement.  2, 3 and 4 secondary coils in parallel.
> All the coils are exactly the same diameter, length, same number of turns
> and same wire size.  If the top and bottom of the coils are not connected to
> each other and not connected to anything else the coils arc to each other at
> both ends. If the coils are connected at the bottom but not the top they arc
> to each other at the top.  If the tops are connected the bottoms arc to each
> other.  If the coils are moved farther apart the coils still arc to each
> other at the ends. I had 3 coils 6" apart, the coils were 4" dia. 13" long
> wound with #24 wire.  I got 6" sparks between all the coils at the ends.
> When I connected all the coils in parallel they appear to function like one
> larger diameter coil.  The 3 coils in parallel not connected at the top will
> arc to each other and produce 18" sparks and streamers at the same time.
> One large toroid on top of all 3 coils works and acts like a larger size TC.

Very interesting experiment. How were the coils excited? A large primary coil?
A primary for each one? Note that even small differences in the coupling
coefficients or in the resonance frequencies of the coils can cause their output
voltages to be at opposite phases periodically, what explains the sparking in all
combinations.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq