[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC Member list & "Wrong Hands"

----------
From:  Gary Lau  15-Mar-1998 1953 [SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, March 15, 1998 7:14 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  TC Member list & "Wrong Hands"

>> One person was worried this information would fall into the wrong hands.
>>
>What are the wrong hands??????????????????  If the FBI sees you are making
>Tesla coils they will know you are just nuts and not a terrorist or other
>serious threat to humanity.
>
>jim heagy

That may have been me.

I've heard that there are search engines that crawl the web, searching for
EMAIL addresses, lists of which are sold to businesses to direct their
SPAM junk mail.  I get several per week, I'm suspecting from my address
appearing in TESLA list posts archived on the web.  Obviously, in my
case, the "damage" is done, but further spammings could be prevented by
disguising email addresses appearing in such a list of coilers, by
replacing "-at-" and "."  characters with "_at_" and "_dot" - human but not
machine understandable.

I don't think I'm paranoid, am I?

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA