[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sanity Check for me

----------
From:  baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu [SMTP:baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu]
Sent:  Monday, March 16, 1998 3:45 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Sanity Check for me

I have the opportunity to get a rather large diameter chunk of PVC,
and am now dreaming of that monster coil. However, when I start running
the numbers - I need a sanity check from some of you more familiar with
this size beast:

What I have the chance for is some 18" diameter PVC, in about 6ft
sections. Leaving my sanity out of the question for the moment, i
thought this would be a rather nice coilform.

Then I started running numbers:
If I use 18AWG wire, WinTesla tells me that at 44inches, I would
have an unloaded frequency of about 77Khz, at an HD ratio of 2.35
This is about 1000 turns and about 5000 ft of wire.

If I use 22AWG still aiming for 1000 turns: ratio drops to 1.5 (27")
and frequency to about 70Khz

I would assume the 18AWG is required to keep the resistive losses
down.

Throw a 6"x36" toroid on there, and the frequencys drop to the
 40khz range, and the cap size jumps from about 0.03 to 0.07 for 22awg
 and from 0.02 to 0.05 for the 18AWG, operating frequencies drop
 into the 40Khz range

Primary would be close to 100ft of tubing if I used 1/4"

Would I be wasting my time? And if so, is there a use for this
large PVC that I don't see? [It's going in the trash unless I find
a use..]

--
--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center