[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark gap rating

----------
From:  Esondrmn [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, March 16, 1998 5:51 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Spark gap rating

<<
 	I have built 2 of the the Richard Quick type static cylindrical gaps and
just
 finished a variation of one, which I will soon publish here, and my
 question is
 how does the gap get rated? In the paper by Richard Quick, he states that his
 gap is good for 3-5kw. How is this rating determined? My newest gap uses
 smaller
 diameter copper pipes, but I am only using it on a 180w baby coil. Maybe
leter
 toay I will start on the publication of it.

 Take care all.
 Bob Schumann

Bob,

I don't know how to rate the gap.  I used one RQ style gap with a 12 kv 120 ma
neon sign transformer supply and it quenched well.  When I switched to a 14.4
kv 5kva pole pig with external ballasting, it would not quench at all.

Ed Sonderman