[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ground question

----------
From:  Esondrmn [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, March 16, 1998 5:51 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Ground question

<<
 I've been pounding some ground rods to replace the wimpy ground I had
 been using and have a question about the hookup. There is a cable
 running to my satellite dish that will cross the path from the ground
 rods to the coil. Will there be a problem with this? I could
 disconnect the cables at both ends when running a coil if necessary
 but there is a hill to climb to get to the dish. I'm not exactly old
 and worn out yet, but would prefer not to do this.

 What's in the wire going to ground? Is there voltage or current flow?
 I've always wondered about this and have been waiting years for
 someone else to ask. Since I don't remember if anyone has, I guess I
 have to put on the dunce cap today and grin-n-bear it  :-)

 What about running the ground wire overhead and then dropping straight
 down to the ground rods? I remember someone saying two or three years
 ago that flashing or strap could be duct taped to the floor and run
 out this way. That is the reason for my question about what is
 actually in the ground wire. If this would be safe then my way would
 seem to be also. I have no problem with taping flashing or ground wire
 to the floor, but I still have to get it across the sat cable and
 going overhead seems to be the only way, short of going all the way
 around the house. And the ground wire is certainly stiff enough to
 stand up for the few feet to the ground rods.

 And would the wire radiate out in the open like this? I know better
 than to hook a wire to the top of a coil since that would be an
 antenna, but what about the ground?

 Okay, that's enough questions for this year. Now back to......

 'Lurk Mode'

 Thanks,
 Alan >>

Alan,

With my 6" coil running at 4 or 5 kva input power, the ground system (three 8
foot copper rods connected together by 3" copper flashing) definitely gets
lifted up above ground - electrically speaking.  I can draw sparks off the
copper flashing going to the ground rods and the ground rods themselves.  I
would definitely keep the coax from the satellite dish away from the ground
cable.  It would be best to bury the ground cable and elevate the coax.

Ed Sonderman