[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sanity Check for me

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 17, 1998 11:18 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Sanity Check for me

to: Mike

You can use that tube if you use a powerful solvent like acetone & xylol to
clean all the conductive "gunk" off it.  Sand it both inside & outside &
coat with glyptal (2-3 coats) allowing 8-12 hrs drying between each coat.
Would suggest winding with 18 or 20 AWG PVC coated wire.  A 20 inch x 5
toroid for top electrode.  Cap size .03 to .04 MFD and drive at 120-180 ma
with a potential xmfr.  Non-synchro rotary sparkgap with 10 electrodes
running at 1725 RPM with two gaps on each side (4 total gaps around
spinning rotor) hooked in series for good quenching.  Should produce solid
5-6 ft sparks in this configuration.  Skip the small magnet wire -- would
take a 0.15-0.18 cap to resonate (quite expensive) and require a much
larger toroid (again expensive).  It could be done but using the parameters
I have suggested you will have a nice, stable, happy coil with good spark
output.  (emphasis on happy here).

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>