[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oddball Oudin Coil

----------
From:  Antonio C. M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Monday, March 16, 1998 10:22 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Oddball Oudin Coil

Edward V. Phillips wrote:

> "That device is an induction coil (mechanically operated
> fly-back circuit), not a Tesla coil."
>
>         Those things have been called Tesla Coils for many, many
> years.  In the form with which I am familiar they are used for
> testing for (or sometimes starting) leaks in vacuum systems.  I
> have one which appears to have been made around 1918.  Puts
> out about a 3/4" spark and works fine on vacuum systems, as
> it's supposed to.
>
>         Don't know where the apellation Tesla Coil came for\
> in regard to these........

All the books that I have seen from the 1890-1930 identify very
clearly what is an induction coil and what is a Tesla coil (when
they mention the last), as they work on very different principles.
It is frequent to see an induction coil used as power supply for
a Tesla coil.
I really don't know exactly what is called an "Oudin coil". I only
see this name on Internet documents, without references. Maybe that
particular configuration for an induction coil?

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq