[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oddball Oudin Coil

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 18, 1998 1:32 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  Oddball Oudin Coil

"All the books that I have seen from the 1890-1930 identify very
clearly what is an induction coil and what is a Tesla coil (when
they mention the last), as they work on very different principles.
It is frequent to see an induction coil used as power supply for
a Tesla coil.
I really don't know exactly what is called an "Oudin coil". I only
see this name on Internet documents, without references. Maybe that
particular configuration for an induction coil?

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq
"
	I agree with your comment regarding text books making the
distinction.  However, in old scientific instrument catalogs (the
oldest I have here now is a 1950 CenCo catalog, the power-line
coils of the type originally described are indeed called "Tesla
Coils".  The term "Oudin coil" is often used to refer to a coil
with one end grounded, the configuration most of us use.  Certainly
Tesla used it too!

Ed