[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Visit with Greg Leyh, #1

----------
From:  Stan Harle [SMTP:lazer-at-wazoo-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 17, 1998 11:09 PM
To:  Pupman Tesla List
Subject:  Visit with Greg Leyh, #1

Folks,
    This will be shorter than I had intended, since my nice new
56k had decide that it wasn't going to work, and I didn't get a
chance to get a new one for a while, since it's quite a trip,
and then I lost all my saved email during a transition from my
Unix machine, yadda, yadda, yadda, anyway, it's now been two
weeks since I went on this trip.
    Let me start out by saying that if you can at all go to see
Greg Leyh's coil, you should do so.  If I had the wherewithall,
I would go tomorrow.  I didn' get to see it fire in person, but
just standing next to it, getting a guided tour of it, and
seeing the massive wheels that make up the gap system spin up
was quite an experience.  Getting to watch some of the SRL
videos afterward was quite an experience as well.  If you
haven't heard of SRL (as I hadn't)  I highly recommend their
website www.srl-dot-org.  They're fun people, and I now have a new
respect for what it takes to construct an accordion (and a whole
lot of other things).
    Greg has constucted Electrum in accordance with DOE safety
guidelines, with dual paths to ground, lighted safety
interlocks, and just overall a very impressive job of
construction.  I've worked for the government for around ten
years, on a number of test, as well as production systems, and
most of their design and construction couldn't hold a candle to
the job that Greg has done on this coil.  Even writing this, I
am quite amazed at the careful design and workmanship that has
gone into construction this device.  Of course, its picture is
the background of the week at my house.
    From stainless steel construction on the discharge terminal,
to the exotic materials used to with stand the operating
parameters of the coil, he has drawn on his own and his
available expertise to construct a rather remarkable device.  If
you haven't looked at the pictures on Chip's website, I'd
recommend that you go over to www.pupman-dot-com, or as Greg posted,
they are also at his site,
www.lod-dot-org/electrum/electrumstatus.html
    Thanks again Greg for a great visit, and I'm looking forward
to the pictures at full power!!

    Stan Harle
    Alamogordo, NM