[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 7:07 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

Jim,

Varying spark length may be caused by a lot of parameters interacting
chaotically and non-linearly with one another. Optimally-quenched and
capacitively top-loaded disruptive coils seem to have an output voltage
characteristic that's ideal for supplying heavy current to an advancing
streamer during ring-up. Combine this with a rep-rate that permits
partial re-use of the arc-channel blazed by the previous bang, and you
now have the recipe for streamer growth on successive bangs.

Eventually, a balance must be reached between power dissipated in the
entire streamer versus the effective power supplied from the coil's
output. At any given time, the streamer's length will be strongly
dependent upon streamer root peak temperature, previous streamer length
and "sinuosity", and a whole host of other factors. Because of negative
resistance characteristic, higher current flow will tend to make the
plasma better conducting, allowing the potential of the discharge
terminal to extend "further out". The important thing is that the length
of a given streamer will be a function of the past history of the
channel even though the electrical events ("bangs") are independent from
one another. To my knowledge there are no measurements of output voltage
which have indicated the presence of any DC voltage between "bangs".
This does not say that there aren't a whole lot of left over ions in the
immediate vicinity of the coil...

-- Bert --