[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Nasty Oudin Coils

----------
From:  Thomas McGahee [SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, March 22, 1998 9:30 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net
Subject:  Nasty Oudin Coils

> From:  Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
> Sent:  Saturday, March 21, 1998 2:06 PM
> To:  Tesla List
> Subject:  Re: Oudin Coil vs Tesla Coil

Super Humongous Snip to reduce the clogging factor :)

> Tom,
>
> Your explanation of the kick coil device was most helpful.  I also
> appreciate the background info you provided on Oudin coils.  However,
> your description of the Oudin coil as an end-fed resonator has raised
> another question.  If the bottom of the resonator winding is
> directly connected to the primary tank circuit, then where does the
> resonator base current go? Does it become part of the primary
> tank current, or what?  Is there some other ground path that I've
> missed?  Just wondering.
>
> Greg
>
> East Anglia, UK

Ahhhh! There's the disgusting part about these things. Look at the
schematic carefully and you'll see that one end of the secondary
connects to the primary, and that one end of the primary connects
directly to the AC power cord. Now, ***IF*** this connection is
to the AC Neutral wire, then things would not be ***too*** bad.
But if that connection just happens to be to the AC Hot wire, well,
things can get a bit interesting!!!

Where does the resonator base current "go"? Why right into the
house wiring, of course. (Gag, choke, barf). With the Oudin style
connection the primary is always connected to either ground or
to the AC wiring. Not a very happy state of affairs. In fact,
one might say that it could be downright dangerous.

Many of the therapeutic devices based on the Oudin coil could give
the user a real jolt if connected up to the AC the wrong way. In
even the best of situations the Oudin coil (especially the ones
with the kick coil and interrupter scheme) can send all kinds of
hash and trash down the AC wiring. They are great if you really
**enjoy** watching snow on your TV, or listening to strange hissing
noises coming from your Radio or stereo system.

I am not a proponent of the Oudin coil. I have built a few dozen of
the things in the past and am quite fond of the 'violet ray'
machines that were based on them, but honestly, they generally are
electrically 'noisy', and can even be dangerous if plugged in
wrong.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee