[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi-layered Secondary

----------
From:  Alfred C. Erpel (Home) [SMTP:aerpel-at-pil-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 24, 1998 6:14 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  RE: Multi-layered Secondary

The
> system developed 55 mA peak secondary current at 1000 kVp (i.e. 55 kW).
The
> losses in the system ranged from around 1 kW at 1 MV output to about 4 kW
> at 2 MV (i.e. as the square of the voltage/current). The load current was
3
> mA.

	I've wondered about winding a huge coil (stacked series pancakes) which is
resonant at 60 Hz. No more spark gap.
  	This would be truly dangerous, 1 zap and you probably wouldn't get a
second chance.

> The system was in a steel tank with Freon 12 at 60 psig for insulation.
The
> entire system (a portable Xray generator) was 3 ft in diameter, 4 ft high
> and weighed about 1500 lb. A 20 cfm blower circulated the gas when running
> at 1.25 MV.
> This data was taken from Craggs & Meek, "HV Laboratory Technique"

	Funny what was once considered portable (1500 lbs.)  I know of a portable
x-ray unit that weighs 35 lbs. including the suitcase it is carried in.  The
x-ray head itself, with handle, removes from the suitcase, while the power
remains in the suitcase attached to the head via cable. Head weighs about 14
lbs.

Regards,
Alfred Erpel