[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Cutting Tungsten (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:34:05 -0500
From: Cliff Fahrer <cfahrer-at-In-Touch-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Cutting Tungsten  (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:12:43 -0500 (EST)
> From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Cutting Tungsten

 trying to cut much smaller tungsten rod with a hand grinded and
 cut off wheel; wheel kept disintegrating.......
         Agree with the second paragraph.  Method I suggested
 is quick and dirty, but works.  No substitute for the "real
 thing", though.

 Ed

> >Ed,

The abrasive wheels I use in my cutoff saw are reinforced and 14" in
diameter and 3/32" thick and lasts for hundreds of cuts on 1/4" tungsten
material.

Ed

Guys,

 I have used my variable speed dremel (old style) with a diamond wheel
about
 1.5" in diameter.  Fed with a water trickler to saw up 1/4" to .020
diameter
 Tungsten rod for years.

 Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard and All,

I Have a large lapidary diamond saw used for cutting gem stones in it's
previous life. Would this work for toungsten rods? The RPM is slow, and
normally kerosene is used for the fluid when cutting stones.

Cliff, (in the Cincinnati area and like Bill serious about building the
same 50KVA beast.)