[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question - RQ spark gap plans (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:01:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Question - RQ spark gap plans (fwd)

At 08:28 PM 5/3/98 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]
Terry,

The RQ gap is actually the "TCBOR gap" and Richard Quick, who saw it in
operation at our Teslathon one year in the early 90s and on our video tapes
which he purchased, picked up on the neat idea when he first started out in
coiling and put it on the old BBS services first and then, more recently on
the internet.  Enough history, though.......

The cylinders won't arc at the end provided you cut the tubing slowly with a
formal pipe cutter to assure a "rolled in" end at each cut.  With carefull,
slow advance of the cutter wheel and a pre-annealing of the tubing, the
rolled in sections will be pronounced.

You much also at least undercut the base under the sparking end edges or
mica insulate to avoid heating and burning and thus, later, arc tracking the
base and top of the gap holders.  Another option, if you are not plenum
vacuuming or blowing the gaps, is to mount them with a single screw in the
middle and support them in mid air.

Back in 1989 we were pushing this kind of gap idea on our video report tapes
and gave a number of detailed discussions on this form of gap and numerous
variations of it. In one 1990 published TCBA NEWS article on arc quenching,
I noted that I had used this type gap successfully up to 5KW.

*Note* if the gaps are run too "tight", they foul readily and a constant
sanding or redressing is required.  As with anything, there is a balance to
using them successfully.

Richard Hull, TCBOR