[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RF biological hazards? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 14:55:04 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: RF biological hazards? (fwd)

Hi Jim,

> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 16:22:09 -0700
> From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: RF biological hazards? (fwd)

<snip>
> There is also the arc to the power line problem, also, as mentioned by
> Greg. A good reason to not ground yourself with a low impedance ground!!!
> (No sweaty bare feet in the rain!) Here is a question, assume that you have
> this low impedance arc between the TC and you. Do you also get an arc from
> you to the ground, or is the power just coupled capacitively? In the latter
> case, you wouldn't be part of a power arc.

Well I think that if coupling is purely capacitive you are part of
the circuit but circuit impedances will be high to low frequencies
present. However, at typical output voltages with six - twelve Joules
present, I have experienced sparks going right through the soles of
some sneakers I've worn. I have received some quite horrendous shocks
from high capacitance coils but only in sshot mode. I don't attract
repetitive arcs when coiling with more than about 500mJ in the
primary. I also avoid the high energy discharges in any mode these
days.

Malcolm