[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RF biohazard -electrosurgery units (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:03:20 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: RF biohazard -electrosurgery units

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: RF biohazard -electrosurgery units
> Date: Monday, May 11, 1998 10:54 PM
>

> Yep - we used to do exactly that.  My employer used to mfg
> electrosurgery units (called "Bovies") - which basically produce either
> a damped or continuous RF current < 1MHz.  This current is applied to
> the patient using (usually) a narrow wire.  The field at the wire cuts
> and coagulates the tissue.
>

> One concern is the grounding of the patient.  If a large metal plate in
> good contact with the patient isn't used, then you'd get RF burns at the
> exit point of the current!  Lawyers LOVE this equipment...
>
> Unfortunately this product line was sold about 12 years ago so I can't
> tell you more than this!  Many hospitals still operate this sort of
> equipment.

I had my gall bladder removed last year and they used electrocautery
equipment (don't know the brand), and they applied a fairly large electrode
(6x12 inches?) to my thigh for grounding, using lots of electrode paste to
reduce the resistance. Interesting, now I know it is RF (maybe?) Don't know
much more about it since I was unconscious shortly after they applied the
electrode.