[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dayton Hamfest (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 08:58:56 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Dayton Hamfest (fwd)

> Date:          Tue, 12 May 1998 16:21:20 -0600 (MDT)
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Dayton Hamfest (fwd)
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Charles,All,

I attended Dayton for the first time about 6 years ago after hearing
all sorts of hype that it was the biggest electronics fleamarket on
the planet for some time.  This talk reached me as far as Edmonton ,
Alberta, Canada, hardly on the map no doubt.

I have to admit, when I finally got a chance to attend the Dayton
Hamfest, it was co-incidentally the first Hamfest I ever attended in
my life.  Well, I was pretty impressed as you'd say!  I've been to
the Dayton schtick about 4 or 5 times now, I try to make it every
year.  I did last year and did real good on a dead (at the time, but
damned clean) high perf video-projector (BarcoData 1001).  It is now
working 100% in my recroom on a 6x8 foot screen as a terrific home
theatre.  You just never know what you will find at these events!

Dayton is special I think in that there is a much larger assortment
and a similarly better chance you are gonna' find what you came for.
On the down side, I've found Dayton becoming too stressful and
expensive, both from actual payouts surrounding the event, but in
logistics.  You cannot park very close and there is a _lot_ of
walking.  Bring a handcart and a shoulder bag if you bring any money.

I *discovered* Rochester a couple of years ago and after I weigh all
the hassles and cost of Dayton, plus the 11 hour drive to Dayton for
me against the 3-1/2 hour drive to Rochester, I have to tell you that I'm
*really* impressed with Rochester!
The fleamarket is only 1/3rd the size, but the stress level is only
1/10th the Dayton Ttrip, maybe even less.  Rochester's prices may be
a bit cheaper too, even if the selection is somewhat reduced.  Tie-
wraps and heatshrink seem to go cheaper at Rochester.

I'd love to go to Dayton this year but I don't think I can.  If  I at
least make Rochester I won't feel that I've missed out on Hamfests
for the entire year!  Compared to  these two US Hamfests, the
Canadian offerings in Ontario are a waste of time, IMO.

Happy Hamfesting all that can,

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel: 1-519-925-1771   Fax:
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~