[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Continued Problems (fwd)

----------
From:  Esondrmn [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, May 11, 1998 5:08 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Continued Problems (fwd)

<< Ed,

   What is your main spark gap set at? This would be the total of the rotary
 gap and the static gap. My guess now would be that you have too much gap.

 My suggestion would be to record all your parameters ( i.e. primary tap
 point, gap distances, rotary speed , current settings (amperage), ) so you
 can get back to where you started from . Then close down your main gaps to
 the minimum safe distance. I am not sure if your rotary gap is adjustable,
 but if it is, I am sure that there needs to be enough clearance for
 mechanical vibration. I would probably bypass the static gap in order to
 start at the minimum gap distance.
  I would then begin tuning the coil as if it were a brand new coil . I would
 find the best primary tap point. At this point you may need a ground point
 only a few inches from the toroid to tell (not having worked with a pole
 pig, I don't know what to expect at this level). Tune it for maximum power
 throughput without changing the gap length. When max output is reached,
 record the settings. The safety gap on your cap should not fire at all
 during this tuning. Open the main gap a couple thousandths of an inch and
 retune for max throughput. Record the settings. At no point should the total
 distance of the main gap (rotary and static combined) exceed the distance of
 the capacitor safety gap or the safety gap will fire.
  By doing this you will get a good idea of how your coil operates at
 different voltage levels (your main gap controls the voltage at which the
 capacitor discharges). You should find a point on the way where the max
 output is reached without firing the safety gap.
  If the safety gap is firing at a very low voltage, the first thing I would
 check is too much resistance (including impedence) between the main gap and
 the cap. If it is not that, then I would consider puting some chokes on
 either side of the cap (chokes designed for large current i.e. out of 3/8"
 tubing) to stop the high voltage spike reaching your cap.

 I hope this helps.
             Bill Turbett

Bill,

The clearance on the rotary gap (between moving contacts and the stationary
contacts) is probably .08 to .10 on each side.  The static gap consists of
three .030 gaps in series.  I now have the static gap out of the circuit and
the next firing will be with the rotary only.

Ed Sonderman