[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV coax? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 06:58:23 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: HV coax?

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Bill,

It's actually spelled Blumlein (which is German for "one wild and crazy
kind of line"... :^) ). Blumlein Pulse Forming Networks or their
transmission-line equivalents are typically used to generate relatively
"square" voltage pulses (typically high voltage, low impedance) for
radar, high speed laser and flashlamp, or nuclear research. Under the
appropriate conditions, a pair of transmission lines charged to Vo and
then suddenly switched by a sparkgap can provide a pulse of amplitude
2Vo or more into a low-imedance load. This has significant advantages in
generating very brief, high voltage, high power pulses, and can also be
used to generate a high voltage pulse while needing to switch a lower
voltage.

For Tesla coilers, the Blumlein effect can have the undesirable
consequence of inadvertantly causing high voltage peaks on the HV
transformer end of coaxial transmission lines when the far end is
terminated by a spark gap. This voltage increase is the phenomenon that
D.C described...

-- Bert --