[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil questions from a beginner (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:06:45 -0400
From: Bob <bob985-at-earthling-dot-net>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Tesla Coil questions from a beginner

I am new to the list and the hobby of building Tesla coils.  I was
hardly aware this kind of hobby existed several months ago, but now am
*very* interested.  :-)

I have learned a lot by browsing web pages and by reading the postings
in the last few weeks, but  I still have many questions.

Basically, on my first coil, I want to get somewhere from 12-24 inch
sparks, but can't  have more than 24 inch sparks due to safety concerns.

I plan to use a section of dryer venting for the toroid, make the
capacitors out of glass bottles,  and have the secondary somewhere
around 24-30 inches tall.

-What are the advantages/ disadvantages of using 36 vs. 26 gauge wire
for the secondary?
I am assuming that with the 36 there would be more windings, and
therefore a higher output voltage and longer sparks. Is this correct?

Would a section of 4 inch diameter tubing be better than 2 inch diameter

tubing for longer sparks?

Generally, what output would I be looking for on a transformer?
(6-15KV?, 30ma, 60ma+?)

How much improvement would a RQ spark gap show over a spark gap made of
angle irons and bolts? Would this be overkill for a coil this size?

What kinds of wire would I use to supply the power to the primary?
(maybe) Over a cement floor?
Neon sign wire? Regular 12 gauge wire in electrical conduit?

Will running this in a garage just below a computer and dozens of 3.5
diskettes do nasty things to the circuitry and/or data stored?
Will I have to build a Faraday cage?

Essentially, what would give me the 12-24 inch sparks for the lowest
cost?

Thanks for any questions you might answer.

-Bob