[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac vs. Regular Dimmer (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 23:50:40 -0700
From: Bill Noble <william_b_noble-at-email.msn-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Variac vs. Regular Dimmer (fwd)

standard wall dimmers are not designed to handle inductive loads - that
includes anything with a transformer or motor, as well as fluorescent
lights.  They will be destroyed instantly - or nearly instantly by the
inductive kickback from the load.  They are NOT zero switching devices -
they switch on at the phase angle that causes the diac breakdown to match
the RC charging network (the pot adjusts the time constant).  There are
dimmers for inductive loads and dimmers for motor control.  One of these may
survive