[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More about my capacitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 06:44:53 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: More about my capacitor (fwd)

> Date:          Tue, 19 May 1998 12:46:58 -0600 (MDT)
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       More about my capacitor (fwd)
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Marco,

The world of Tesla Coiling is one based on the premise of
experimentation.  If you wish to know whether those Maxwell
capacitors you described will work in a Tesla coil circuit for sure,
my best advice is to try them!

I use Maxwell caps that are designed for little reversal and only 1
Hz rep rate in fairly high power TC's with good results at 400 PPS
break rate.  In this case I keep my run times to 30 second bursts only.
After about 5 or 6 firings of 30 seconds with actually less than 30 seconds
before each next fun-cycle, I find detectable warmness growing in the business
region of the capacitors with my hand.  Knowing that the thermal TC
of the case material is slow I shut down the fun once I get less than
a 10 degree case temp increase.  I think these caps of mine use castor oil,
kraft paper and polypropelene dielectric.  Limiting the run times
(and internal temp rise) seems to be the key to making these fine
Maxwells and any other cap for that matter _ survive_ in Tesla coil service
after you have addressed the voltage rating by providing a hefty safety margine
in the cap rating.  Run these surplus Maxwells at an absolute minimum at 3X the
RMS of the system power transformer.  The ones I described getting
warm are operating at just 12 kV RMS while they are each conservatively
rated at 100 kVDC! (I have 3 x 0.04 uF in parallel for a total of
0.12 uF).

I seriously believe that it is by the generous underrating of
the stamped voltage rating of a capacitor that will allow less optimum designed
units to tolerate Tesla coil service!  Having said that, recognize
that depending on dielectric and construction, there are many surplus
HV caps out there that just won't work at all at Tesla coil
frequencies.

I believe you said your caps were rated with a 10 kHz ringing frequency rating
as a maximum.  That ain't bad for (are these?) surplus capacitors
being redirected to Tesla service.

The dissipation sound really high at 120 Hz, nevertheless I suggest you put 'em
in series and try them! Watts have you got to loose? : )

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel: 1-519-925-1771   Fax:
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~