[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another First Light! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 11:06:38 EDT
From: Esondrmn <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Another First Light! (fwd)

<< Hello All:

 With schoolwork, and finals week here I haven't much time to work on my
 first coil, but I did nonetheless complete it and give it some initial
 runs. The specs are as follows:

 primary - flat pancake with .25" copper tubing (15 turns)
 power supply - (2) 15kV 30mA NST's paralleled
 chokes - 100 mH on each leg of the NST's
 spark gap - RQ type (6 section (.1" combined) plus adjustable brass
 gap(.225")) set at .325
 capacitor - .0125 micro farad rolled polyethylene (.062"), filled with
 transformer oil
 safety cap - .001 micro farad, filled with transformer oil
 safety gaps across the NST's and main cap
 twin variacs rated at 17 Amps
 toroid - 4" cross section x 25" diameter
 grounding - 8' x 1/2" dia copper ground rod
 secondary - see below

 I had a two layer 6"dia x 22" length secondary wound with #28 magnet
 wire, but I had a problem with the inner winding being shorted out
 somehow, so I replaced it with an alternate secondary that I had wound
 (4"dia x 20" with #22 magnet wire).  The tuning took quite awhile,
 beginning with zero spark length, and now properly tuned I'm pulling
 around the 30-35" mark (loud as %&*-at-)  Not bad for my first coil eh?
 And plus I'm using the lower inductance secondary.  Can't wait to
 re-wire the 6" and see what I get.

 Lynn, send me a message cause I can't find your email address.

 Patrick Gustafson, Ozone plentiful in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Patrick,

Congratulations!  Sounds like a good project.  The only concern I have is your
home rolled cap.  I built two of these with only one layer of .062" poly for
the dielectric and blew both of them using 12 kv neon sign transformers.  I
believe one layer of .062 is only good for about 9 kv in a Tesla tank circuit.
Let us know how it holds up.

Ed Sonderman