[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Litz Wire Secondaries

----------
From:  R M Craven [SMTP:craven-at-globalnet.co.uk]
Sent:  Thursday, May 28, 1998 6:36 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Litz Wire Secondaries

Apologies if this topic has been done to death, but I haven't seen much
discussion regarding resonator losses.

We've talked about dielectric losses in the secondary former, but has anyone
compared a Litz wound secondary with a solid core secondary? Litz consisting
of 20 strands of 38 AWG provides optimal performance between say 50 kHz and
a couple of hundred kHz, but I don't know how much higher the Q would be
(ignoring loading effects etc of toroid, corona etc).

I have recently finished (thank God) making my big coil winding machine
which will take forms upto about 24" diameter. I wound a quick closewound
secondary (ABS former, 0.71mm magnet wire) so if i can find some similar
overall diameter Litz, I might give it a go at comparing the performance,
both under instrumentation conditions and also at power.

Richard Craven, Malvern, England