[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Gary Lau's gap

I switched to a Lau Gap with good results.  I have 40 in sparks using 0.017
uF SW caps and about 1.3 kW input.  However, with close spacing, I will
suddenly lose breakout, followed by an audibly "faster" sounding SG
discharge which continues to increase until its almost a continuous sounding
arc.  Obviously at this point quenching is virtially non existent.  Input
power rises and I have to shut down.  Running of the airflow with no SG
discharge for 10 s to 1 min seems to clear the problem for a while, but its
getting worse.  Reducing the power by opening 3/4 of my ballast switches (HW
elements) will not restore quenching once its lost.  Wider gap is less
sensitive, but mine will not fire at the lowest power setting.

I'm using 3/4 Cu pipe end to end with no fittings.  I thought ionized air
was being trapped in a boundary layer and killing the quench, but I have to
shut off HV for much longer than I would expect for this failure mode.  My
Cu electrodes are becoming dark and eroded which may be a factor.  RIght now
I'm down because the washtub sprung a leak, when I'm up agin, I hope to be
instrumented for measurements thanks to Terry and his excellent Mk I fiber
optic VI probes.  Y'all missed the bargain of the century.

I still want to know if I'm in the ballpark with 40 in from my SW cap
system, running from a 70:1 PT, about 1.3 kW thru the xformer, maybe 2-3 kW
in ballast.

Will

ps Gary is it OK with you to post this type gap on my site ?