[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Halloween night, CP cap {con,de}struction

>Original Poster: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
>Yeah, they went "BOOM".  They are sealed up PVC containers and they burst.
>They were on my roof, so there was no one around.  The sparks were between
>4 and 6 feet, but I haven't measured them really.  It's not too bad for a
>first attempt, but I'll have to spend a bit of time getting the thing
>tweaked out.  I used the commercial caps because they were compact and I
>expected them to be good and robust.
>
>Chip

Hi Chip,

Sorry to hear of your loss!  Interesting how this CP thread comes up every
year or so.  If you use commercial caps again you might go for some major
overkill in voltage rating to protect your investment.  I've been using a
couple of 50kV Maxwells in series for quite a while and never had any
problems.  They even survived that incident last Fall when one of my pigs
failed after several primary strikes.  Anyway that must have been a great
Halloween display up on the roof!

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush/fun