[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ballast

Hi All,
    Thanks for the information on using a UPS transformer as ballast.  The
transformer has a laminated iron core (Bill the UPS also had a large
ferrite) in the shape of a square O.  Their are
two windings on opposite sides of the O.  Shorting one side cause the
inductance on the other to be about 6 mH.  But in use would this cause the
thing just to fry?
It may be possible to open the magnetic path to form a U with the two
windings still intact.  This I assume will cause the inductance to be
reduced and also reduce the possibility of saturation.  The wire size seems
to be about 12 AWG.

Am I correct in thinking if a reactive ballast is used on the input to a pig
then its output can reach its nominal output voltage at some part of the
load cycle.  If a restive ballast is used then the output potential will
never reach its rated value.  So a reactive ballast is much more preferable
and less wasteful on input power.

Thanks again.

Viv Watts UK.