[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NOT-Laser Triggered Spark Gap

> I would think one should still put a Terry or RQ style multi-element spark
> gap in series with the TSG for potentially improved quenching/heat
> distribution.

This is what the TCBOR has been doing lo-these many years.  Run a special
variable speed rotary of really not that big or massive a design and then run
many static gaps in series in a vacuum plenum to dissapate the bulk of the
heat
and assist with timely quench.  It was the main system used on Nemeis
(10-13KW)
for years begining in 1990 and later migrated to the long running, numbered
magnifier series begun in 1991.  The TCBOR designed series rotary quench gaps
eliminated this requirement to a great degree on our maggies after 1993.  We
have farted with every design of gap I have seen proposed on this list of late
exept the laser triggered, pie in the sky gaps.  The simple, but multi-gaped
systems are still the best solution for long sparks in all common two coil
systems from 1KW to about 15KW, though they can surely be pushed much farther
with special designs and tricks.

Richard Hull, TCBOR