[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

To Paul, Cabbott, All.

I'm sorry guys (and gals,) but it is posts like this that really
raise the small hairs on the back of my neck!  Cabbott, no
disrespect to you, or what you wrote below.

However, I must *emphisize* that taking high voltage/high
frequency discharges from a Tesla Coil is a dubious proposition!
Many of us have all different sizes (and power input and operating
frequency) coils.  It is not possible to state that one coil is
"hamrless" and another is not, without first taking into account,
the output operational frequency, voltage and discharge current
available, in the "streamers" that will be encountered!  Further,
a rubber matt is useless in all but the smallest (1" output) coils!

One has to properly insulate ones' self from ground (as well as
any leakage paths to a lower potential than what you are "playing"
with!)  This is NOT to be taken lightly!  Even a coil delivering
a 2 foot long "streamer" can produce serious R.F. burns, if the
discharge is taken directly to the skin (hands, arms, head, etc.)

Those of us who do perform these "tricks" on a regular basis, have
had enough background experience (and preparation,) using the
necessary and correct insulative platoforms, wire mesh gloves,
metal thimbles, free airspace environment, etc., such that we "live"
to do it again and again, without potentially serious danger.

Please, all, while this "hobby" of "coiling" is certainly possibly
(the second greatest thing since sex,) or whatever benchmark you
care to compare it to, PLEASE ALWAYS take any form of high
voltage very seriously!  You wouldn't "play around" with a
locked and loaded Colt .44 magnum.  You shouldn't do it with
(any) Tesla coil, for the same reasons!

Sincerely,

Bill Wysock.

> Date:          Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:52:29 -0700
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: streamer hit
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net>
>

> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: "Paul Marshall" <klugmann-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> >
> > >From time to time people write in to the list about intentionally
> > exposing themselves to high voltage streamer hits. A couple of nights
> > ago I was doing some extreamly low power test with my coil. 2 - 3"
> > streamers. I approached the coil with a screw driver. Needless to say I
> > got a painful suprise. My coil at high power will deliver 80 + inch
> > streamers. I can't imagine what a hit from that would be like and I
> > don't want to find out.
> >
> > paul m
> >

> Paul, if you stand on a rubber mat and hold something *other* than in
> unsulated screwdriver, you will be fine.   the jolt you feel is a result of
> an arc forming between you and the electrode.  arcs cause jolts and burns.
> If you insulate yourself properly, you can actually hold on to your toroid
> while firing at say 2 kwatts.....and let the energy radiate off of your
> body in waves.....  but may i suggest not to hold your finger out in the
> air, as this would cause a streamer to leap off of it and therefor causing
> filibration of the heart, etc....
>
> my 1&1/2 cents worth,
>
> Cabbott Sanders
> Salem Oregon