[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: T&R pole pigs..

Tesla List wrote:

> BTW: someone on the list tell me if I am wrong, but think
> I have figured out how to inexpensivly measure my current
> draw. I thought about current transformers, etc.. then
> as I was figuring out the wiring for the ballast + the series
> resitor (0.4ohm -at- 1KW, used, $15.00) I realized that I could
> get both average and peak current draw via voltmeters.
>
> Average: Connect 0-15VAC meter aross resistor. Voltage follows
> at 0.4*current draw.. so at my planned max of 30A, I see 12V.

    Be careful with this, the resistance of your ballast may not be a
constant,
if it is composed of heating elements, then there will be a positive
temperature
co-efficient, and it may also not be a pure resistance

--
*Stephen Rodway             Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com *  Support your local *
*Tel. 01761 300615                             *     coroner....     *