[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Works --Tuning Help

Hi Adam, all,

Sorry to hear about your disappointing first output, but thatīs coiling.
My thoughts are interspread below.

 Original Poster: "Adam Parker" <park_e_r-at-HiWAAY-dot-net>

 Last night I finally got some output from my coil...  A 1/2 inch spark --to
 a grounded target. Definately     NOT the best performence for a six-inch
 coil running on 1.5kVA! I figure I really need some tweaking help.

 This is my current setup:

 Two 15kV, 60mA Neons in parallel
--Be sure that the output of both NSTīs are similar (volts-wise). Donīt just
trust the plate values.

 A lossy salt water cap (made from a gallon glass jug, I have 4 smaller
 ones)
--Try adding some oil on top of the salt water to reduce corona losses.
--Do you have any idea what your total capacitance is?

A single, static gap. about 1/2 to 3/4 inch space --the spark was sorta
 erratic and bluish...

---Go for a multiple spark gap. This WILL improve your output. 3/4" is pretty
wide. I would dare to make the guess that your gap isnīt quenching very well

 An 8 turn primary coil --my coilform can handle up to 14 turns
 Finally, I use a toroid about 14" in diameter. 4" sewer pipe. I have a
 larger one as well.

--- I would definately go for more turns. What type of primary ist it? Your
toroid could be a little larger, but this sure isnīt the reason for getting
only 0.5" sparks.
What is your secondary made of? Turns, AWG, length, etc?

 Adam

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard