[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Works --Tuning Help

In a message dated 11/12/98 4:31:03 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 Last night I finally got some output from my coil...  A 1/2 inch spark --to
 a grounded target. Definately     NOT the best performence for a six-inch
 coil running on 1.5kVA! I figure I really need some tweaking help.

 This is my current setup:

 Two 15kV, 60mA Neons in parallel
 A lossy salt water cap (made from a gallon glass jug, I have 4 smaller
 ones)
 A single, static gap. about 1/2 to 3/4 inch space --the spark was sorta
 erratic and bluish...
 An 8 turn primary coil --my coilform can handle up to 14 turns
 Finally, I use a toroid about 14" in diameter. 4" sewer pipe. I have a
 larger one as well.

 I'm willing to do pretty much anything to the setup to get good results, I
 know this isn't a good way of running now --more primary turns?
 Anyway, I'll appreciate ANY help.

 Adam
 KF4ZVW >>

Adam,

Are you sure your transformers are good?  First, I would advise to use only
one of these.  15kv at 60 ma should be fine to get this coil up and running.
I would advise to use a multiple copper tube gap with each gap set at no more
than .02 to .03".  Five to seven of these gaps should work well - that is a
total gap width of about .15' to .20".  Your gap of .50 to .75" is way too
large.  Your gap should fire hot and steady - it will be loud.  If this ins't
happening, either the transformer is defective or you capacitor is not any
good.  Once you get this part working, we should run the math on this coil to
figure out if and where on the primary it will tune.  To do this, we need all
the data on the secondary - outside diameter of the form, winding length and
size of wire.  Also need data on the primary - inside dia. ,  outside dia. ,
size of conductor and spacing between turns.  Then we need the actual (or
close) capacitance of your capacitor.  Have you calculated this or measured
it?

Good luck,  Ed Sonderman